Saturday, May 10, 2014

Thing 6: Creating & Editing Docs

http://23mobilethingsmn.org/the-23-things/6-creating-editing-docs/


I have an older MacBook, with equally aged software that I use for my freelance writing and other documents for home. Conversely, at my library job, I am spoiled with a constantly up-to-date Windows-based desktop computer that provides the latest in Microsoft Office Suite.

Recently I've been needing to create more spreadsheets outside of library work, and find my Mac software horribly outdated. (But, Office 2004 seems like it just came out yesterday, doesn't it?) I don't have a portable Windows-based computer at home, so I have been on a frustrating quest to find the best way to make good spreadsheets on my iPad, or on my home computer without being forced to update my antiquated software on a laptop that probably can't handle the change. So, I've been trying some iPad apps, all of which are offered for free.

  Enter Google Sheets: This would work just fine if I weren't already spoiled by the fantastic offerings on my work computer. It does the job, but is VERY basic, with only 6 font choices, for example. I like to be more fancy than that.

  Enter Numbers, a free app I found in the Apple App store, and downloaded on my iPad. This got me excited. It was intuitive and easy to use.  However, when I tried to open it in Excel, as it says I can, I lost the formatting. The creators of Numbers still have work to do to win me back.

cloudon  Enter CloudOn. Oh, CloudOn, where have you been these past few weeks?? It is an amazing app, and looks and works just like an Excel spreadsheet on my iPad. I'm not sure if I can get it on my MacBook (although one CAN download apps to Mac computers now), but I am thrilled with this app! Not only does it work well as an Excel provider, but also gives us Work and PowerPoint. I can also sync it with my Google Docs. And, it's FREE!
This girl is happy!

quickoffice  I have not tried the QuickOffice app yet, but it sounds like it is similar to CloudOn. I'm going to try it out as well, to see which one I like the best. No worries if I don't like it--CloudOn suits my fancy just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment